Results of negative pressure wound therapy in compound grade 3 tibial fractures


  • Atul Kantilal Patil Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Terna Medical College, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
  • Ansari Muqtadeer Abdul Aziz Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Government Medical College, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India
  • Rahul Devale Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Terna Medical College, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India



Compound fractures, NPWT, VAC


Background: Open fractures constitute major chunk of orthopaedic trauma in a busy tertiary hospital and involve lot of morbidity, efforts, cost and time. Negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) is a relatively new treatment that has proven beneficial in various types of complex wounds. The purpose of our study is to see the utility of NPWT in compound type III tibial fractures and its impact on the outcome of the patients.

Methods: 30 patients were included in the study with a mean age of 40.27 years ranging from 13 years to 62 years. There were 26 male patients and 4 female patients with 22 right sided fractures and 8 left sided fractures. The patients were then distributed into VAC/NPWT (study) group and control group using table of random numbers. Each group had 15 patients each. Scoring was carried out at before the first debridement.

Results: In the study NPWT group it was estimated that 5 patients may need amputation or but of these only 1 (20%) patient went on to have amputation of the involved limb while the rest (80%) could be salvaged. In the control group, 1 patient was predicted to need amputation which indeed resulted in amputation. Of the 7 predicted to need flap cover in study group, 4 (57.1%) eventually needed flap cover while the 3 (42.9%) were covered with skin grafting. Contrary in the control group all the 8 patients predicted to need flap cover, all ended up having the same. In the control group, of the 6 patients who were prognosticated to needed skin grafting, 2 (33.3%) worsened and needed flap cover while in the rest 4 (66.7%) skin grafting sufficed.

Conclusions: NPWT resulted in healthy granulation of the wound. The study undertaken was a prospective randomised control trial. However, the main drawbacks were the sample size and the inability to have long term follow up. More studies with larger sample size and a long term follow up are necessary to substantiate the findings of the study.

Author Biography

Ansari Muqtadeer Abdul Aziz, Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, Government Medical College, Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India



Cross WW III, Swiontkowski MF. Treatment principles in the management of open fractures. Indian J Orthop. 2008;42(4):377–86.

Babhulkar S, Raza HKT. Open fractures. Indian J Orthop. 2008;42(4):365–7.

Neubauer TH, Bayer GS, Wagner M. Open fractures and infection. Acta chirurgiae orthopaedicae et traumatolagiae chechosl. 2006;73:301-12.

Gustilo RB, Mendoza RM, Williams DN. Problems in the management of type III (severe) open fractures: a new classification of type III open fractures. J Trauma. 1984;24(8):742-6.

Schwien T, Gilbert J, Lang C. Pressure ulcer prevalence and the role of negative pressure wound therapy in home health quality outcomes. Ostomy Wound Manage, 2005;51(9):47-60.

Zhu J, Yu A, Qi B, Li Z, Hu X. Effects of Negative Pressure Wound Therapy on Mesenchymal Stem Cells Proliferation and Osteogenic Differentiation in a Fibrin Matrix. PLoS One. 2014;9(9):e107339.

Blum ML, Esser M, Richardson M, Paul E, Rosenfeldt FL. Negative Pressure Wound Therapy Reduces Deep Infection Rate in Open Tibial Fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2012;26:499–505.

Juutilainen V, Kuukasjarvi P, Malmivaara A. Negative Pressure Wound Therapy: a Systematic Review on Effectiveness. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2008;36:438-48.

Stannard JP, Volgas DA, Stewart R, McGwin G, Jr, Alonso JE. Negative Pressure Wound Therapy After Severe Open Fractures: A Prospective Randomized Study. J Orthop Trauma. 2009;23:552–7.

Dedmond BT, Kortesis B, Punger K, Simpson J, Argenta J, Kulp B, et al. Webb. The Use of Negative-Pressure Wound Therapy (NPWT) in the Temporary Treatment of Soft-Tissue Injuries Associated With High-Energy Open Tibial Shaft. J Orthop Trauma. 2007;21:11–7.

Barnett T, Shilt J. Use of VAC and a dermal regeneration template as an alternative to flap reconstruction in paediatric grade IIIB open lower extremity injuries. Am J Orthop. 2009;38(6):301-5.

Morykwas MJ, Simpson J, Punger K, Argenta A, Kremgenta J. Vacuum-assisted closure: state of basic research and physiologic foundation,Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;117(7):121-6.

Kanakaris NK, Thanasas C, Keramaris N, Kontakis G, Granick MS, Giannoudis PV. The efficacy of negative pressure wound therapy in the management of lower extremity trauma: Review of clinical evidence. Injury. 2007;38(5):9-18.

Sinha K, Chauhan VD, Maheshwari R, Chauhan N, Rajan M, Agrawal A. Vacuum Assisted Closure Therapy versus Standard Wound Therapy for Open Musculoskeletal Injuries. Advances in Orthopedics. 2013:245940.






Original Research Articles