A multicentric retrospective study for the treatment of humerus bone fracture following humerus plate fixation with screws


  • Tarun Kumar Department of Regulatory Affairs, Auxein Medical Private Limited, Sonipat, Haryana, India
  • Mohit Kumar Department of Regulatory Affairs, Auxein Medical Private Limited, Sonipat, Haryana, India
  • Bhawana Chawale Department of Clinical Research, Auxein Medical Private Limited, Sonipat, Haryana, India
  • Sonika Bhatt Department of Regulatory Affairs, Auxein Medical Private Limited, Sonipat, Haryana, India
  • Gaurav Luthra Department of Regulatory Affairs, Auxein Medical Private Limited, Sonipat, Haryana, India




Humerus fracture, Proximal end segment, Diaphyseal end, Distal end segment, Humerus plate, Distal fracture, Locking plate, Nonunion, Outcomes


Background: The goal of this study was to investigate the performance of the humerus bone fixation with screws while treating humerus bone fracture.

Methods: The 34 patients’ retrospective data was collected with 1 year of follow up. Humerus fractures were treated by humerus plate fixation in different hospitals and countries, including 26 males and 8 females, with the age range of 32 -74 years (mean 47.4 years). Clinical and radiological follow-ups were conducted at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and 1 year after surgery to check the bone union and implant-related complications. Ten different plates were used for the treatment of fracture as per the fracture type. The patient's health status was evaluated by the American society of anesthesiologists grade and the visual analogue score (VAS) was also obtained.

Results: The progressive decline in the VAS score showed positive results related to pain management. All patients receive continuous physiotherapy under the supervision of physiotherapists, which aids in faster recovery and mobilization. No biomechanical issue related to implant plate and screw loosening, corrosion, bend, or other factors was detected in our 34 patients. Out of 34 patients 91% were satisfied with no pain and the remaining 9% were unsatisfied due to pain. About 85% of patients were happy with aesthetic appearance and the rest 14% of patients were unhappy related to aesthetic appearance.

Conclusions: Humerus plate fixation is feasible for the treatment of humerus fracture. The clinical outcomes and prognosis of patients are dependent on the accuracy of intraoperative reduction and surgical expertise.


Evan M, Matthew V. Anatomy, Shoulder and Upper Limb, Humerus. StatPearls Publishing. 2018.

Kabakci Aydin AD, Buyukmumcu M, Yilmaz MT, Cicekcibasi AE Akın, Cihan DE. An Osteometric Study on Humerus. Int J Morphol. 2017;35(1):219-26.

Fu W, Yan W, Jinye D. A novel surgical approach and technique and short-term clinical efficacy for the treatment of proximal humerus fractures with the combined use of medial anatomical locking plate fixation and minimally invasive lateral locking plate fixation. J Orthop Res. 2021;16(1):29.

Fabio JP, Varacallo M. Proximal Humerus Fracture. Statpearls Publishing. 2022.

Donnally III CJ, DiPompeo CM, Varacallo M. StatPearls. StatPearls Publishing; Treasure Island (FL), Vertebral Compression Fractures. 2021.

Court-Brown CM, Duckworth AD, Clement ND, McQueen MM. Fractures in older adults. A view of the future? Injury. 2018;49(12):2161-6.

Schumaier A, Grawe B. Proximal Humerus Fractures: Evaluation and Management in the Elderly Patient. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2018;9:2151458517750516.

Bounds Emily J, Nicholas F, Kok Stephanie J. Humeral Shaft Fractures. Statpearls Publishing. 2021.

Eduardo B, Ferreira NAA, Bolliger NR, De Santis PF, Angeli ME, Oliveira MG. Humeral Shaft Fractures. Rev Bras Ortop. 2015;45(1):12-6.

Steinitz A, Sailer J, Rikli D. Distal humerus fractures: a review of current therapy concepts. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2016;9(2):199-206.

Mohamed D. American Society of Anaesthesiologists physical status classification. Indian J Anesthesia. 2011;55(2):111-5.

Femke CM, Yvonne B, Rinne PM. Plate and Screw Fixation of Bicolumnar Distal Humerus Fractures: Factors Associated with Loosening or Breakage of Implants or Nonunion. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40(10):2045-51.

Zhang H, Ni W, Gao S, Xi L, Zhou A. Long PHILOS locking compression plate for treatment of proximal humerus and humeral shaft fractures. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2009;23(4):419-22.

Plecko M, Aurel K. Internal Fixation of Proximal Humerus Fractures Using the Locking Proximal Humerus Plate. Oper Orthop Traumatol. 2005;17(1):25-50.






Original Research Articles